Unsurprisingly, becoming a driving instructor isn't simply a case of sticking some 'L' plates on your car and hitting the road. The law stipulates that in order to charge for driving tuition, you must be registered.


So who do you register with?  

You must be registered with the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) on the Register of Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs). The DSA is part of the government's Department of Transport responsible for the administration of the register. 

The register itself was started to improve and maintain the standards of driving tuition and ensure an acceptable level of tuition is available to members of the public. 

The law is all contained within the Road Traffic Act


What else? 

To have a chance of making it on to the register you must: 


  • hold a full UK or European Union (EU/European Economic Area (EEA) unrestricted car driving licence


  • have held this licence for at least four of the last six years, prior to being entered on the register

  • NOT have been disqualified from driving in the four years prior to being entered on the register

  • be a "fit and proper" person. All convictions, including motoring, are taken into consideration and an enhanced level criminal records check is carried out when you are assessed for suitability.

  • qualify by passing all three parts of the qualification process, explained in more detail on the next page, then apply for registration within twelve months